gender in translation

Olga Bukhina obukhina at ACLS.ORG
Thu Jul 29 15:14:33 UTC 2010

Another nice example of playing with gender in poetry is Vera Inber's poem Moja devochka.

- Завтра, значит, будет праздница?
- Праздник, Жана, говорят.
- Всё равно, какая разница,
Лишь бы дали шоколад.

- Будет всё, мой мальчик миленький,
Будет даже детский бал.
Знаешь: повар в старом валенке
Утром мышку увидал.

- Мама, ты всегда проказница:
Я не мальчик. Я же дочь
- Всё равно, какая разница,
Спи, мой мальчик, скоро ночь.

Olga Bukhina
obukhina at acls.org

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of anne marie devlin
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:19 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] gender in translation

I was wondering if there have been any attempts to 'de-gender' such emotive words.  As we know, English has been trying to replace words such as chairman with chairperson - however research has shown that where chairperson is used by the press that it usually refers to a female!.  In French the word professeur can now be grammatically masculine or feminine.  Madame la professeur is now in use.  So would it be possible to use Умница or убийца with a masculine adjective, or what about a masculine ending past tense verb?

AM