about translators and translation and child reading

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Tue Jun 1 03:02:52 UTC 2010

Alina Israeli wrote:
> There were some other translated books that were a much better read
> than the Russian originals.

And vice versa: as far as I'm concerned, Vinni-Pukh is better than
Winnie-the-Pooh, and Fenimore Cooper is probably more readable in
Russian than in English.

Except for Alina's mention of "Karlson," I don't think anyone
recommended Russian translations from other languages. Among the authors
on our reading menu (at different ages) were Jules Verne, Alexandre
Dumas, Jaroslav Hašek, Oskar Lunts ("Vesna" - from Estonian), Leyb
Kvitko (from Yiddish), ne govoria uzhe o skazkakh raznykh narodov. Our
son - now forty - can still quote such things as "Ia nad vami ne
smeius'" (from one of the Dumas novels) and "Vielleicht Katzendreck,
Herr Oberst" (left in the original in Petr Bogatyrev's translation of
"Švejk").

Bob Rothstein