writing Russian addresses in English

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Fri Jun 11 22:06:01 UTC 2010

I vote for rearranging it into Western format.

Sarah Hurst

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Stephanie Briggs
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 2:00 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] writing Russian addresses in English

Hi,

In applying to Portsmouth University, I have to provide 2 references. One of
them is a Russian professor in Yaroslavl, whom I have known for 11 years.

I am accustomed to writing her address in Russian, which is different from
the address format typically used in English.

The Russian format goes something like this:

Postal Code Number
City
Street and Apartment Number
Recipient's Name

My application form and references must be in English. How do I write her
address so that it is correct but doesn't confuse English speakers? Is it
just a matter of transliterating from Russian to English, say, "Prospekt
Tolbukhina" or "Yaroslavl", and leaving the sections in the Russian order?
Or should it be rearranged into Western format (Name, house number, street,
city, postal code)?

Many thanks,

Stephanie

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
FIRST SALE: 11/13/09!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/

Got Your Spoon? Find out what they're all about (and find out a little about
me too!)
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/