writing Russian addresses in English

Fri Jun 11 22:22:15 UTC 2010

Stephanie Briggs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In applying to Portsmouth University, I have to provide 2 references. One of
> them is a Russian professor in Yaroslavl, whom I have known for 11 years.
>
> I am accustomed to writing her address in Russian, which is different from
> the address format typically used in English.
>
> The Russian format goes something like this:
>
> Postal Code Number
> City
> Street and Apartment Number
> Recipient's Name
>
> My application form and references must be in English. How do I write her
> address so that it is correct but doesn't confuse English speakers? Is it
> just a matter of transliterating from Russian to English, say, "Prospekt
> Tolbukhina" or "Yaroslavl", and leaving the sections in the Russian order?
> Or should it be rearranged into Western format (Name, house number, street,
> city, postal code)?

If your purpose is understanding (your recipient needs to know what the
address says), then give it as expected in your target language and
dialect.

If there's a chance your reader will use the address on an envelope for
correspondence, give the address that will work in the international
mail system. In this particular case, I suspect a Slavic department will
understand what it means and why you have done this.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com