Studying/informal translation with a chronic illness

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Tue Jun 15 15:00:55 UTC 2010

No need to feel guilty, Stephanie. Computer assisted translation (CAT) is now the norm for most working (non-literary) translators. And CAT in turn relies on d-bases like Google's, which isn't looking up words really, it's checking against a huge store of previously translated material to see how other people have done it in other cases. So actually you're relying on the work of many other human translators when you use it.

David Bellos had a piece in the NYTimes on this back in March -- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/opinion/21bellos.html?pagewanted=2.

Russell

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Stephanie Briggs
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:48 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Studying/informal translation with a chronic illness

Dear SEELANGers,

As I mentioned in the email about my trip to Russia, I have a physical
disability, cerebral palsy, plus chronic pain. I've been studying Russian
since 1999, and got a BA in it, and will be applying for a Master's program
in Translation Studies soon.

I realize the importance of translating by oneself using a dictionary amd
one's own skills, but as I was writing a note to a Russian friend of mine
whose son is very ill, I found myself, instead of reaching for my dictionary
and verb book, going to the dreacded Google Translate, and typing in the
short phrase that I wanted. I checked the translation myself, and tweaked it
a bit before writing it out. Google of course isn't perfect, so I used it
and expected that it would come out rather...weird, simplifed maybe, needing
some help to refine it.

Now I feel guilty at all for using a computer translator, which can never
really replace a human. But I used it because I am very low on energy, and
didn;t have the energy to look up, decline and etc all the words I needed.
It's very hard to read tiny dictionary print when someone has shoved an
icepick in your eyes. I know for sure that in professional translation, one
is expected to use one's brain (as well as whatever software to do a rough
translation), and the traditional dictionary, verb book, etc. Not just leap
to the easy translating machine.

Can I be forgiven for slipping this once and doing it the easy way?

Stephanie.

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
FIRST SALE: 11/13/09!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/

Got Your Spoon? Find out what they're all about (and find out a little about
me too!)
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/