Studying/informal translation with a chronic illness

Stephanie Briggs sdsures at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 15 14:47:36 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANGers,

As I mentioned in the email about my trip to Russia, I have a physical
disability, cerebral palsy, plus chronic pain. I've been studying Russian
since 1999, and got a BA in it, and will be applying for a Master's program
in Translation Studies soon.

I realize the importance of translating by oneself using a dictionary amd
one's own skills, but as I was writing a note to a Russian friend of mine
whose son is very ill, I found myself, instead of reaching for my dictionary
and verb book, going to the dreacded Google Translate, and typing in the
short phrase that I wanted. I checked the translation myself, and tweaked it
a bit before writing it out. Google of course isn't perfect, so I used it
and expected that it would come out rather...weird, simplifed maybe, needing
some help to refine it.

Now I feel guilty at all for using a computer translator, which can never
really replace a human. But I used it because I am very low on energy, and
didn;t have the energy to look up, decline and etc all the words I needed.
It's very hard to read tiny dictionary print when someone has shoved an
icepick in your eyes. I know for sure that in professional translation, one
is expected to use one's brain (as well as whatever software to do a rough
translation), and the traditional dictionary, verb book, etc. Not just leap
to the easy translating machine.

Can I be forgiven for slipping this once and doing it the easy way?

Stephanie.

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
FIRST SALE: 11/13/09!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/

Got Your Spoon? Find out what they're all about (and find out a little about
me too!)
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/the_spoon_theory/