"Lenin lives" (was Mr. Mayakovsky too died in the gulag)

ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Mar 3 08:18:26 UTC 2010

At 04:58 PM 3/2/2010, you wrote:
>Dear Will and Bob,
>This is indeed a close fit.  But let's look a little closer.
>Revelation 1:8 speaks of "the Lord God, who is and who was and who is
>to come, the Almighty."  This too has a tripartite structure (so
>common in folklore, as you note, Will).  The time sequence is a little
>different, however.  And Rob, some questions from this Gentile: what
>exactly is "Adon olam?"

Adon olam (Lord of the universe) is a poem, written I believe some
time early in the preceding millennium.  But
its lines consist of quotes (?) or paraphrases of lines from the
Tanakh or siddur (daily prayerbook).

>   Was
>it already in existence and was it known to Jewish soratniki during
>the time period in question?

Known--absolutely.  In every siddur in morning prayers.  As a song,
known all over Jewish world (in Italy every town
had its own traditional melody).  About as familiar as "Silent Night"
is to Gentiles.
Jules Levin