Malen'kii vopros o rasskaze 'V gorode Berdicheve'

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Tue Mar 23 10:59:09 UTC 2010

Dear all, dear Robertjan,

What would you do about Pasternak's "Fevral'":

"... i veter krikami izryt..."  ("и ветер криками изрыт...") ???!!

You can "say firmly". Can you "exclaim firmly"? Can you exclaim in the opposite way? Lumpily/ in a wobbly way--or something? Here, what рыхло means here is closely connected to what по-бабьи means. The notion is that, this emission of sound has nothing to do with her commissarhood. Here is a rendering of the meaning (Robertjan, sorry for butchering the rhythm in my rendering: I know how much you value it) roughly: "she cried/exclaimed, her voice sounding [common and] wobbly, like any other woman's"?  English is not my forte, sorry. All I can do is explain what the Russian does.
Olga
(PS: Robertjan, here is the nemesis, both yours and mine, for not addressing the problem of "baba" vs. "zhenshchina" adequately (remember, I once asked you and Liz this question, when we were working together in London: what do you do with "baba"'s derivatives--like adjectives, abstract nouns, or--as here--adverbs? Perhaps something like "like any other woman" would so indeed?)