Software for subtitling video

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Mon May 3 17:18:43 UTC 2010

My suggestion is to google "srt captions". SRT files are simple text files
that allow you to caption non-invasively. (You don't actually change the
video file.) But you do have to sit down and carefully time out the
captions. The timings are a pain. The rest is easy.

Rich Robin

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM, David Goldfarb <davidagoldfarb at gmail.com>wrote:

> Can anyone recommend Windows video editing software that has a
> convenient method of adding subtitles?  I have an old version of
> Pinnacle video editing software, which would allow me to do this by
> making transparent slides with opaque text in JPEG format in an image
> editing program like Photoshop and superimposing those slides on the
> video, but it seems there must be an easier way by now, where I could
> just type a text caption in the video editing program and insert it at
> the relevant spot.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>

> David A. Goldfarb
> http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.
Director Russian Language Program