Latin for Опасно чувств о вать себ я безопасно в опасности

Ernest Sjogren esjogren at NC.RR.COM
Wed May 5 01:43:53 UTC 2010

Following up Ms. Zohrab's clue, this sentence from Publilius Syrus would
seem to the original of the lines she quotes:

Caret periclo, qui etiam cum est tutus cavet.

Very literally: He is free from danger who is wary even when guarded.

Publilii Syri SENTENTIAE [MAXIMS, by Publilius Syrus], R. A. H.
Bickford-Smith, ed., London, 1895, p. 8

The MAXIMS in Latin can be found in many places online such as
<http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/syrus.html> or in Google books.  (I am no
expert and have no idea what may be considered a good edition of the work.)

Is this Latin the original of the Russian quotation?  An inspiration for it?

Ernie Sjogren