transliteration - Ukrainian & Russian to English

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Thu May 6 12:44:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010 10:23:18 +0100
  anne marie devlin <anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
> just an observation - but isn't ff used to indicate final devoicing
>for French native speakers?

Yup, but it doesn't change Paul's point about rendering the actual
pronunciation of the ending.
Many Russian émigrés ended up in France. I have American students of
Russian descent in my classes, several of them acquired the -off
somewhere sometime.

Russians in Germany would have had no problem with a final devoiced
-OB
rendered as -OV since that IS the German pronunciation of that letter
-- which brings up instead the potential reverse problem of an initial
Russian "B" rendered as V and left up to the German imagination.
Initial V in German is pretty much also pronounced F (Vater, Volk,
Volkswagen). In Germany Kandinsky's first name often ended up with an
initial W and two SSs: Wassily.

So the question is, when Anglophones without any knowledge of Russian
see the final -OB rendered as -OV, will they pronounce it correctly as
(devoiced) -OFF?
-OV can and will result in its being pronounced -OV, with a voiced V
sound.
-OF may result in the same (... say the preposition "of" by itself)

So Paul's posting, however facetious it may otherwise be, has a point.
The only way to ENSURE a devoiced -OB may be -OFF.

That is, of course, assuming that our main goal is to ensure a fully
devoiced ending, which is a separate issue. Official transliteration
is about rendering letters and spelling more than actual sound.
-FR

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Coordinator, German and Russian