transliteration - Ukrainian & Russian to English

Edward Dumanis edseelangs at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 6 19:11:15 UTC 2010

I have just found a very curious example.
If you go to

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%BE%D0%B2&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

(which is simply the page you get if you google Ковальов), and
look at the entry on that page for
Ковальов Олександр Олександрович -- Вікіпедія
with an option to translate, the google translation will produce a
very strange result where Ковальов Олександр Олександрович is
transliterated as if it were done from its Russian counterpart while
the Ukrainian capital has a proper transliteration from Ukrainian.
What could a possible reason for this inconsistency?
I wonder.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis