Huffington Blog Post: Sophia Tolstoy

Alexandra Popoff shura at SASKTEL.NET
Tue May 18 23:32:30 UTC 2010

I am bewildered by Professor Daniel Rancour-Laferriere's remarks.
Huffington Post is not a scholarly publication, which is widely known.
But how can a scholar judge a new biography through an Amazon search?
And is there really nothing new to learn about Tolstoy's wife? How about
her memoir, which remained unpublished for a century? I learned a great
deal from this work, beginning to research it in 2002. It took me six
years to write the book. My sources in Sophia Tolstoy's biography
include her memoir and the Tolstoys' correspondence, comprising of some
1,500 letters. These sources are new to the biographers, which cannot be
disputed. Rancour-Laferriere mentions William Shirer's Love and Hatred,
but what does this book have to do with scholarship? Shirer's sources
include Troyat's ancient biography of Tolstoy where his wife is
portrayed as a shrew. Rancour-Laferriere's remarks seem dismissive to
me, although I do hope he is not trying to undermine the value of
independent scholarship.

Alexandra Popoff