Huffington Blog Post: Sophia Tolstoy

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Wed May 19 05:27:27 UTC 2010

Dear Alexandra Popoff,

Why "bewildered?"  You invited comments to the Huffington Post blog, so I accepted the invitation.  Upon reading the blog, however, I recognized much familiar material.  Many scholars have gotten past the negative stereotyping of Sofia Andreevna and have understood what a tremendous role she played in her husband's creative life, not to mention having a life of her own.  It is good that you have gained access to previously suppressed material which she wrote, including especially her (now presumably uncensored) memoir.  You are no doubt aware that the forthcoming publication of this memoir was recently announced (8 February) on this list by Professor Andrew Donskov of the University of Ottawa.  I have not yet seen the full memoir myself, nor have I seen your book which just now appeared.  But the Huffington Post led me to the Amazon site, and I was able to search there for references in your book to previously published scholarly works which are essential to understanding th!
 e Tolstoy marriage (these items are listed in note 818 of my book TOLSTOY ON THE COUCH: MISOGYNY, MASOCHISM AND THE ABSENT MOTHER, NYU Press/Macmillan Press, 1998).  The result for each item was zero (although there was one hit for Zhdanov on Amazon.ca, but zero on Amazon.com).  It took quite a few years of research on Tolstoy, by the way, before I reached note 818 of this particular book.  And in the book I lamented the fact that the memoir still (in 1998) remained unpublished.

So, I am not passing judgment on your new biography overall, for I would have to read the entire book.  Nor do I underestimate the value of "independent scholarship."  But no scholarship in this fascinating field should be so "independent" as to disregard the work of crucial predecessors toiling in the same field.

With regards to the list -

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere