Computer-assisted language learning: activities and techniques?

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Wed Oct 20 12:54:04 UTC 2010

I second Tom Beyer’s notion that in most cases, it's best to keep the
technology at home for homework and out of the classroom — unless, of
course, were talking about distance learning.

After all, the students have access to the technology at any time. They have
access to the teacher for a few hours a week in most teaching situations in
college. So every moment of face time in class is precious.

There are, of course, exceptions. I have a tech classroom one hour a week in
a normal 8-hour/week intensive teaching schedule for first year Russian. I
actually use the technology for only about 15-20 minutes of the allotted
hour to things like these:

1. Show videos with targeted captions

2. Make pre-arranged group Skype calls to people in Russia.

3. Do group work on reading/listening, using the Internet.

4. Demonstrate how to use technology at home (Google as the world’s greatest
phraseological dictionary, where to go for “easy” authentic material, how to
use “Katya,” the Russian TTS voice, etc.

I might be leaving out some activities, but basically, I want students to
make heavy use of the technology at home: working with online audio/video,
exploring various Russian sites, recording themselves in various activities
using audio drop-boxes, etc.

None of this is to say that I denigrate the use of technology in FL
teaching. I spent no small amount of time creating the technological
scaffolding that students will use — but at home.

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:16 AM, Beyer, Tom <beyer at middlebury.edu> wrote:

> One interesting social network application is livemocha. Www.livemocha.com
> .
> It may appeal to beginning students. In general I try to use technology
> outside of class. Most students have access to PCs and classroom time is at
> a premium. At best use the lab to show students what is available.
>

> On 8/21/10 12:42 AM, "Olga Livshin" <afol at UAA.ALASKA.EDU> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone can suggest resources on (and/or successful
> examples
> > of) specific techniques and sample activities for teaching languages with
> the
> > student use of computers in the classroom. I will be able to teach with
> the
> > use of a language lab at my university this fall, and I'd like to make
> this
> > aspect of learning effective for my students.
> >
> > I am aware of a few different forms of computer-assisted language
> learning, as
> > well as some activities (e.g., collaborative writing, "shopping" online,
> > e-mail pen-pals, talking and chat through Skype or similar software). I
> would
> > be interested in knowing how successful these or other activities have
> been
> > for others. Small-group activities with the use of commonly used software
> (a
> > Web browser, Microsoft Word, and/or Skype) are especially of interest.
> >
> > Many thanks for your time!
> >
> > Best,
> > Olga Livshin
> > University of Alaska Anchorage