B 3ACTEHKE?

Elena Gapova e.gapova at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 3 00:06:17 UTC 2010

"Zastenak" has several meanings.
In Belarusian (and Kaunas belongs to the Belarusian-Lithuanian linguistic
area) it can be:
1. prison;
2. a small and impoverished estate, similar to "хутор" ("засцянковая шляхта"
- small nobility which did not have the land of its own and had to rent);
3. a village type which emerged in the 16th century: see
http://be.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%86%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BA

Most probably, if someone was born "v zastenke" followed by a proper name,
this should be translated as "in the village of..."

e.g.