B 3ACTEHKE?

Kevin Windle kevin.windle at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Sep 3 00:54:34 UTC 2010

In its Polish form zaścianek it has a similar historical sense to the Belarusan. It is rendered in Stanislawski's dictionary as 'yeomen's settlement' (okolica szlachecka).

See also Dal' for older senses of the Russian word, mentioning Polish: khutor, odinokii poselok na pustoshi, vne obshchei krest'ianskoi mezhi.

Kevin Windle

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Elena Gapova
Sent: Friday, 3 September 2010 10:06 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] B 3ACTEHKE?

"Zastenak" has several meanings.

In Belarusian (and Kaunas belongs to the Belarusian-Lithuanian linguistic

area) it can be:

1. prison;

2. a small and impoverished estate, similar to "хутор" ("засцянковая шляхта"

- small nobility which did not have the land of its own and had to rent);

3. a village type which emerged in the 16th century: see

http://be.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%86%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BA

Most probably, if someone was born "v zastenke" followed by a proper name,

this should be translated as "in the village of..."

e.g.