Teffi - Skazochka - a leshii in a French forest

Hugh McLean hmclean at BERKELEY.EDU
Sun Sep 5 23:44:03 UTC 2010

Robert Chandler wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This is a story from the early 1920s. Grisha, a Russian émigré boy, has got
> lost in a French forest.  He goes to sleep, then encounters what seems to be
> a leshii.
>
> Пригляделся Гриша - человечек сидит.
>     Странный такой – голенький.  [...]  Волосы надо лбом двумя мохрами
> взбиты, губы толстые.  Смотрит на Гришу и так весь от смеха внутри себя
> дрожит.  Видеть невозможно, до того самому смешно делается.  У Гриши так в
> горле и защекотало и ноги задрыгали.
>     А человечек, не сводя с Гриши глаз, вдруг прижал к губам маленькую
> зеленую дудочку.
>
> I am totally confused by this sentence: “Videt’ nevozmozhno, do togo samomu
> smeshno delaetsya.”  WHO can’t see WHAT?  Does the “samomu” refer to Grisha
> or to the leshii?  I imagine it refers to Grisha.  If so, how should I
> understand the next sentence?  Are the tickling in Grisha’s throat and his
> twitching legs intended as indications of him getting into a hysterical
> state?
>
> Also: the leshii’s hair is sticking up from his forehead, yes?  In two
> tufts?
>
> Thanks, as always!
>
> R.

I think the leshii is shaking with laughter, and the boy, observing him,
also is overcome with mirth, so much so that his eyes shut. To say that
his condition should be deemed "hysterical"  seems going pretty far, but
I don't know the rest of the story.