translation help

George Hawrysch zolotar at INTERLOG.COM
Fri Sep 17 02:14:02 UTC 2010

No contradiction. In that period, it was common for people
to wear uniform-like clothing associated with social rank or
professional affiliation. Court workers, orchestra members,
guards and servants of all kinds... And people with money or
title would wear sabers, epaulettes, brass buttons, etc. as
a matter of course. The St. Stanislaus pin suggests this is
a government employee.

Since "мундир" refers to military dress, "штатский" is just
a way to indicate a civilian in uniform. I would translate
the term as "civil service uniform."

George Hawrysch