20th Century Russian Works about the Caucasus

John Hope hadjiabrek at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 27 22:33:52 UTC 2010

Dear John,

A partial list of 20th-century works on the Caucasian theme would include Anatolii Pristavkin's "Nochevala tuchka zolotaia" (1987), Vladimir Makanin's "Kavkazskii plennyi" (1999, if my memory serves), a fairly large body of pulp dealing with the last two Chechen wars, Boris Akunin's "Smert' Akhillesa" (1998; at least partially relevant), and at least one story by Viktor Pelevin ("Papakhi na bashniakh").  If you expand into film you'll find Gaidai's "Kavkazskaia plennitsa," Bodrov Sr.'s "Kavkazskii plennik," Nevzorov's "Chistilishche," Konchalovskii's "Dom durakov," Rogozhkin's "Blokpost," Balabanov's "Voina," Mikhalkov's "12," and Sokurov's "Aleksandra," among others.  Pretty much all of these have been translated / subtitled, with the exception of the pulp fiction and the Pelevin story.

There are also a number of books and articles on the subject.