Ukrainian translation help: stanychnyi etc.

Lakhtikova, Anastasiya V alakhtik at AD.UIUC.EDU
Tue Apr 19 16:03:15 UTC 2011

It's a post or an outpost.
Best,
Anastasia

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Nina Murray
Sent: 19 апреля 2011 г. 9:30
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Ukrainian translation help: stanychnyi etc.

Dear SEELANGers--
I have successfully thought myself into a corner and must ask for assistance.
I'm translating a Ukrainian text set during and immediately after WWII and
dealing specifically with the Ukrainian Insurgent Army. If anyone can recommend
a good English-language resource for military terminology, that would be great,
but I think I can manage that with the patchwork of sources I've found. My
problem is with another concept.

Stanytsia (станиця) and stanychnyj (станичний) come up several times in the
text, and I understand them to refer to the civil administration, i.e. stanytsia
being a local unit of UIA/OUN-run civil administration and stanychnyj being its
main representative. Now all I need are one-word translations for both. Any
ideas? Am I wrong in my understanding of the terms?

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Nina Murray