Cyrillic and Latin characters

Mon Aug 29 01:34:38 UTC 2011

Jules Levin wrote:

> On 8/26/2011 7:24 AM, Melissa Smith wrote:
>
>> It may not work in translation, but it provides an EXCELLENT option
>> for any Slavist having a hard time coming up with a new password:
>> S7GNOMOV.
>>
> I'm not sure I understand the above,

"Семь гномов," I assume.

> ... but it inspired me to bring up my secret hobby--seeing how many
> interesting Russian words I can form from the English keyboard. This
> turns out to be an excellent way to come up with passwords that are
> easy to remember and also highly rated by the web sites that actually
> rate the quality of your proposed password. Here are the Cyrillic
> letters one can find on an English keyboard: A B E 3 K M H O P C T Y
> X bI b Note that this includes a digit and a lower-case letter, thus
> satisfying the web sites that demand numbers and lower and upper
> case.
>
> Here are some words I formed off the top of my head. I am sure one
> can come up with many more: BECTb, BOCK, XBOCTb, HOPbI, TPYC, BY3bI,
> KPOBb, 3ABTPAKATb
>
> Let the games begin!

Note also the letters you can fake with the sequences II, JI, III, IO.
For some people, 4 and 6 are plausible fakes for Ч and Б. Thus:
JIIO6OBb, C4ACTbE... it's almost like a captcha. And we haven't even
gotten into язык падонков.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com