[SEELA NGS] он сл омал *себ е* ногу v s. он слом ал н огу

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 20 10:23:49 UTC 2011

Somehow, I don't think that raw statistical data on frequency of use gives the answer.  What we need to know is in which contexts they are used.  "она сломала ногу" may be 30 times more frequent; however, "я сломала себе ногу" is still present, so we need to ask in which social context is себе added. Is it found in written or spoken data?, is it particular to a region?, is it gender-based/age-based/class-based?. Is it a formal/informal situation. Is the speaker high/low/equal status to the interlocutor?
I'm also presuming that the google corpus is a corpus of written data, and written and spoken data are often not comparable
AM