Пречистая мать, х од и к нам у-хать.

Andrey Shcherbenok shcherbenok at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 20 18:21:40 UTC 2011

Dear Laura Goering,

It seems that у хать is not a misprint
http://libelli.narod.ru/music/stravinsky/svadebka.html
and it does mean "в хату". One additional argument if favor of the
noun rather than the verb is that the meter demands a stress on the
last syllable, which is the case with a noun, while a verb would  most
probably have been stressed as У-хать. Semantically, too, Prechistaia
mat' is invited to "косы расплетать" rather than to produce any kind
of noise. Ехать does not make any sense at all.

Best wishes,
Andrey

-----
Dr. Andrey Shcherbenok

British Academy Newton International Fellow
Department of Russian and Slavonic Studies
University of Sheffield, Jessop West,
1 Upper Hanover St, Sheffield S3 7RA
United Kingdom