Teaching Opportunities for Undergraduates

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Thu Jan 27 10:04:33 UTC 2011

Alexei,

To put things very bluntly, most schools - including the major ones

http://www.englishfirst.ru
http://www.bkc.ru/
http://languagelink.ru/

Will generally hire anyone who can convince them that they were born in the
US, UK, NZ, or Australia... or at least to a parent originally from those
countries. The market in Russia is booming and for the most part, they are
just trying to fill demand.

Without an ESL teaching certificate, the student has less chance of landing
a contracted, "official" position - but the possibility of landing at least
close to full time employment is pretty much assured. Full time and above
can be attained by filling in one's personal schedule working freelance by
posting in the language folders of

http://www.redtape.ru/forum/
http://expat.ru/

Again, it's pretty easy to land work - you can charge $15-25 an hour
(minimum - up to about 45 is possible) depending on how well you market
yourself.

Also need to warn the student, however, that are plenty of obmanshiki out
there - both smaller schools and clients. Best to research any school names
on

http://www.eslcafe.com/

and the forums above. If something smells of fish, walk away...

Lastly, for volunteer stuff,
http://www.sras.org/volunteer_opportunities_in_russia

And a bit more info (older, but still basically correct:
http://www.sras.org/teaching_english_in_russia

Hope that helps :)

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org