A Siberian skazka about Ivan Mareson (Ivan Kobyl'nikov): "s golovy" "Verkhnii khvost"; "kor'evishsho".

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sat Jun 18 05:56:14 UTC 2011

Dear all,

This skazka (recorded in 1896, included in Azadovsky's 1934 RUSSKAYA SKAZKA) seems to me one of the very finest versions of Russian skazki that I have ever read.  The complete text can be read here:
http://feb-web.ru/feb/skazki/texts/im1/im1-224-.htm

But it is dense with strange idioms, some of them probably calques from Tungus.  I have often simply guessed at the meaning.  I would love to have the translation thoroughly checked by someone with some knowledge of Siberian skazki - or by a linguist with some knowledge of this part of the world.  Does anyone know anyone who might be able to help?

All the best,

Robert