ne mozhno

Ashot Vardanyan uiowashot at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 3 15:10:56 UTC 2011

In turn, I remember a British couple, who I contacted in the 70s in Yerevan,
using "an't I?" and "an't we / you?" This is the way they wrote it when I asked
them to. Later, I even found it in some dictionaries as well.

The viewpoint of the native speaker wordplay is absolutely right, and we can see
that not only with this "ne mozhno" but in any film every day when the
characters "distort" their language. BTW, for those studying Russian dialects,
colloquialisms and slang, I would recommend the TV shows (series) "Svaty". Not
to mention, you will just enjoy the kind Russian humor.

Ashot Vardanyan

________________________________
From: Sibelan Forrester <sforres1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thu, March 3, 2011 9:46:14 AM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] ne mozhno

My (Scottish) grandfather used to say "amn't I?" ("Amn't" would be used by
people from Ireland, like his mother, but he did it as a joke; I believe "amn't"
is the source of the widely used substandard "ain't.")

Native speakers can get away with usages and wordplay that will be taken as
mistakes if non-native-speakers try them, even if they try them knowingly.

Sibelan Forrester

On 3/3/11 9:39 AM, Ashot Vardanyan wrote:
> It's as funny as the "l'zya" form used ironically or just as a joke for
> "mozhno". Of course, "ne mozhno" is not a standard, nor is "l'zya" at all. To
> me, sounds something like "mayn't" or even"mightn't" in English which sound
> terrible, don't they?
>
> Ashot Vardanyan

options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: