синий

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Sun Mar 11 21:07:31 UTC 2012

It has something to do with the way they divide the colors of the
rainbow. I once has an argument about bridesmaids' dresses in an
outdoor wedding with a Russian friend about identification in English
as "purple," which she identified as "sinij"  For her, "Purple" was
closer to "Crimson," or robes of royals.

I don't know how we remember the colors of the rainbow, but I believe
we identify the end of the spectrum as "violet."

I believe Russians know a phrase: Kazhdyi Oxotnik ZHelaet Znat- Gde ...
I forget the rest.

Melissa Smith

On 3/11/12 12:10 PM, Elena Gapova wrote:
> Синий or голубой?
>
> e.g.
>
> 2012/3/11 Clint Buhler <buhler.5 at osu.edu>
>
> > Dear Seelangers,
> >
> > I have been listening to a couple interviews in which Russians
explain that
> > *синий* is an untranslatable term, whose connotations go beyond
simply the
> > color blue.  Has anyone else encountered this who could point me in
the
> > right direction toward getting a better understanding of the term
> > culturally?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Clint Buhler

> >  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:
> >                    http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor