Seminar on Dissident Writing, Literature and Global Media

Ann Komaromi a_komaromi at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 6 15:08:56 UTC 2012

Paper proposals are invited for the seminar
"DISSIDENT WRITING, LITERATURE, AND GLOBAL MEDIA"
to be held at the ACLA Meeting, Toronto, April 4-7, 2013.

What qualifies a person to be a "dissident," and what constitutes
"dissident writing" in European and other contexts?  Does this framework
remain relevant for our understanding of events in China and the Arab
world, for example? How does new media, and social networks in particular,
change what we envision to be the global context of citizen activism?  And
what is the role of literature within the framework of "dissident
writing"?  Should literary texts by "dissidents" be afforded special
attention, as the East European dissidents of the 1960s-1980s would have
argued, or be treated like any other form of cultural activism?  What is
the relationship between art, including literature, and citizen activism?

For the full seminar description and instructions for submitting a proposal,
please see http://www.acla.org/acla2013/propose-a-paper-or-seminar/

You may also contact Seminar organizer
Josephine (Josie) von Zitzewitz
josephine.vonzitzewitz at new.ox.ac.uk