Pride and Prejudice opening sentence in Russian

Wed Sep 11 20:19:31 UTC 2013

FRISON Philippe wrote:

> Here is Marshak’s translation :
>
> Все знают, что молодой человек, располагающий средствами, должен
> подыскивать себе жену.

Fascinating. I took the "must" in that sentence as speculative ("I'm
sure he will do this") and not imperative ("He has to do this").

I know that Russian "должен" can sometimes have this sense, but I'm not
convinced it works that way here.

Agree or disagree with these two points?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com