Pride and Prejudice opening sentence in Russian

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Sep 12 00:36:25 UTC 2013

I completely agree about the two translations. It doesn't seem that Marshak
has made any attempt to capture the tone of the original. Shocking, really,
especially considering that it's the *first* sentence of the novel.

Cheers,
David P.

David Powelstock
Assoc. Prof. of Russian and Comparative Literature
Director, Master of Arts in Comparative Humanities
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02453