Analogs of Vysotsky

Sat Feb 8 18:49:22 UTC 2014

Moss, Kevin M. wrote:

> There was a PBS special on Vysotsky, Frontline I think, back in the
> early 80s, and a woman in Moscow said something like
>
> Я даже не знаю кто имеет такое значение для меня:
> Ну может быть Гагарин
> или Исус Христос.
>
> I doubt you can find any American singer (or anyone) who could
> compete on that level!

Let's not forget Lennon's (in)famous quote about the Beatles being "more
popular than Jesus now." (it was true, but many didn't want to hear it)

Be that as it may, the Beatles weren't the voice of a generation until
pretty late; early on they were more about fun than about substance.

For my money, Paul Simon and Bob Dylan rose to that level (though Dylan
couldn't sing a lick); I'll put Paul Simon's genius, with or without
Garfunkel, up against anyone (some listeners outside the New York area
may not see it). And his songs had a substantial, meaty content that you
don't often get in pop music.

On the distaff side, I like Joni Mitchell -- are we allowed to choose
Canadians?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com