Teffi - theatrical terminology

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Sun Feb 23 23:44:03 UTC 2014

This is a fascinating translation issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot go into Evreinov from here the way I'd like to to
properly address this (so I could be wrong ...), but is it not true that
the phrase "teatr dlia sebia" can be interpreted as two different concepts,
"theatre for oneself/theself" and "theatre for its own sake?"  In that
case, Robert, you have yet another complication.

Those may be different concepts to us but in Evreinov they seem to
dovetail, and either way they have to do with rejecting old theatre
conventions.

Here are tidbits from two different books that address this, and translate
the term differently:
Russian Literature, Modernism and the Visual Arts:
http://books.google.bt/books?id=APl7vHoA04YC&pg=PA154&lpg=PA154&dq=Evreinov+theatre+of+the+self&source=bl&ots=tuFZ6ciRRB&sig=Z-Xo4zWkj9-X8xGC2AenUZkKXtk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=noQKU9ztCseG0AXCpoHwDQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Evreinov%20theatre%20of%20the%20self&f=false
Semiotics of Drama and Theatre
http://books.google.bt/books?id=tb_WqTc5t8gC&pg=PT242&lpg=PT242&dq=Evreinov+theatre+of+the+self&source=bl&ots=kPpZeIL3nK&sig=WIKftkU1jsG_r_zMelVMwwxVMPM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=noQKU9ztCseG0AXCpoHwDQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Evreinov%20theatre%20of%20the%20self&f=false

Best,
-FR

--
Françoise Rosset