Cfp: 2014 ASEEES Panel on Memory of the Red Army's Liberation of Eastern Europe

Rachel Leah Applebaum rapple at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat Jan 4 13:18:49 UTC 2014

Dear SEELANGERS,
I am in the process of organizing a panel for the 2014 ASEEES convention in San Antonio about the history of memory of the Red Army’s liberation of Eastern Europe from the Nazi occupation. I am looking for at least one more presenter, as well as possibly a chair and a discussant. My own paper will examine personal memories of the Soviet liberation of Czechoslovakia by both Soviet veterans and Czech and Slovak civilians in the 1950s and 1960s, and how these memories helped challenge the Soviet imperial project in the country.
I am interested in papers looking at any aspect of the postwar memory of the Red Army’s liberation of Eastern Europe, including the legacy of violence perpetrated by Red Army soldiers, the construction of monuments to the Red Army, Holocaust survivors' memories of the Red Army’s liberation of concentration camps, and the like. I am also interested in papers that examine this topic from the perspective of Soviet veterans, or that look at Soviet postwar commemorations/artistic representations of the liberation of Eastern Europe.
If you are interested, please send me a 1-3 sentence summary of your topic, or of your qualifications as panel discussant or chair, as well as a brief description of your current academic research and affiliation. My e-mail address is Rachel.Applebaum at eui.eu<mailto:Rachel.Applebaum at eui.eu>
Given that the deadline for panel submissions is January 15, I would appreciate it if you would respond as soon as possible, at the latest by January 9.
Thank you and Happy New Year,
Rachel Applebaum
Max Weber Postdoctoral Fellow
European University Institute