Optimality.

Robert L. Rankin rankin at lark.cc.ukans.edu
Wed Jun 16 19:54:51 UTC 1999

I was talking with several people at the Siouan Conference and mentioned
that a nice summary ("suitable for reading") of optimality theory had
appeared in _Science_, the journal of the American Association for the
Advancement of Science.  I said I'd look it up.  It was entitled
"Optimality: From Neural Networks to Universal Grammar" and was in vol.
275, 14 March 1997, pp. 1604-1610. It's by Prince and Smolensky.

I am not an optimalogist, but even I found it readable.