waiN

R. Rankin rankin at ku.edu
Thu Aug 29 18:10:33 UTC 2002

WaiN is just from *wa-?iN with an organic glottal stop.
I take it that Omaha never keeps those glottals -- only
the peculiar conjugation that went with them (compare
zha-miN,
zha-zhiN, zhiN  'think').

Proto-Siouan glottal stop only remains after consonants
in Omaha then, as far as I know.  And about the only
example(s) I can come up with right off is/are naNp?iN
and
wanaNp?iN 'wear about the neck', which contains the
same etymon as *wa?iN.

As far as I know the /?/ from /k?/ always remains in
Omaha and Ponca.  And of course it's preserved as /k?/
(or sometimes an original /x?) in Kaw, Osage and
Quapaw.  QU is the only one that preserves /x?/, the
other 2 merge it with /k?/.

Note that sequences of aNk-/aNg- '1st du/pl' followed
by ?V do not retain any trace of the glottal in Dhegiha
but do in Dakotan.

Bob