Dakota: verbs with 'hill' involved

"Alfred W. Tüting" ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Sat Apr 10 09:54:37 UTC 2004

 >(John Koontz) Is blahaN or lahaN possible?   This could be considered
to be a transitive verb that requires a third person inanimate subject
(that follows the animate object), but it amounts to an experiencer verb.<<

Oh, ez a kérdés! But I don't think so, as Buechel doesn't give these
inflections and, moreover, indicates the verb as 'vn' (neutral verb)
this being his term for 'stative verb'. Under the English entry 'stick',
_yahan_ is given as "TO BE stuck with as with a splinter"(capitalization
by me).

 >I suppose ya is the mouth instrumental - likening sticking to biting.
  Another possibility would be i 'locative of instrument' + ahaN.  I
don't have enough data to tell yet.  In any event, y here doesn't seem
to be epenthetic.<<

The former was my first thought too; the latter also seems pretty
plausible, yet, the remaining part (-ahan) as such doesn't seem to
incorporate the idea of 'prick/stick/bite', does it? (Maybe: to stand/be
located on top of smth acute/spiky/'peakish', e.g. like a cactus, and
being pricked BY it???) This interpretation might be grounded in
Buechel's example (wicasa wanzila unkcela wan ...) where the stative
verb obviously has TWO arguments! Shouldn't there be smth creating this
2nd slot, i.e. an instrumental affix _i-_?

Alfred