Fwd: Re: "vertitive"

Wallace Chafe chafe at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 31 16:09:18 UTC 2004

I remember Terry's use of "vertitive" from the time we were both in the
Berkeley linguistics department in the 1960s, but didn't know about his
switch to "versive". For the sake of historical accuracy, I feel I should
mention that "some grammarians" had already been using "inchoative" for the
"become" meaning for some time before that. It was most familiar to me from
Lounsbury's Oneida Verb Morphology, which was published in 1953 but was a
version of the dissertation he wrote in the late 1940s. (If anybody cares
to look, he introduced the "inchoative" derivational suffix on p. 78.) I
always felt uncomfortable with the term, as did Terry, and I wish something
else had caught on, but Iroquoianists and others are still calling it the
"inchoative". As Terry says, it's something that shows up in pretty nearly
all languages. I wouldn't mind if we all switched to "versive", but I guess
that won't happen.

Wally