calumet de paix

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Mar 2 19:09:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Rankin, Robert L wrote:

> This is interesting.  I wonder if these verbs are related to the
> Kansa/Osage verb /ibache/ /ipache/ (both langs. Have aspirated /c/
> here)?  It is the name of the clan that 'lights the sacred pipe'.  The
> sound correspondences don't quite match.  The final vowels are different
> and the Dhegiha stop is definitely aspirated, but the semantics are
> quite similar -- just a different instrumental prefix.

Maybe, on reflection that OP root is -the (not thaN).  I'd have to check -
I've apparently just exceeded the range of my vocabulary.  Whatever the
vowel is, Dorsey always writes the stop t + opening apostrophe.  I'd
always understood that this was actually tt, but I don't think I ever
elicited it, so my source for that would probably have been Bob.  In any
event, my impression has always been that when Dorsey specifically
indicated aspiration like this in OP he was more or less entirely
unreliable.

Note that he writes stop + closing apostrophe for ejectives, but fricative
plus opening apostrophe for glottalized fricatives.  Stop plus opening
apostrophe is something else, and I would assume it was aspiration.  I
don't recall if and what he says.

Note that if Dhegiha *-the matches Da *-thaN, that would be a rare case of
dental aspirate matching dental aspirate.