[Fwd: RE: Numic Query (fwd)]

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at d.umn.edu
Sat Nov 13 01:23:00 UTC 2004

At John M.'s request--

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Numic Query (fwd)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:42:49 -0700
From: Dr. John E. McLaughlin <mclasutt at brigham.net>
To: Alan H. Hartley <ahartley at d.umn.edu>

Maybe we can arm-wrestle and settle the matter :)

If there were another nasal-dropping Central Numic dialect, these two words
are the only evidence of it.  Since Sacajawea lived so long with people who
didn't have nasal-stop clusters, but had nasal vowels instead (Hidatsa and
French), language interference on her part just seems more likely to me.
Anyway, that's the evidence and we've probably said and done about all we
can do or say about it.

Cheers to you Siouanists.  Remember, all your tribes' horses were at one
point stolen out of Mexico by a Comanche!  Uto-Aztecanists rule :)