2005 Siouan and Caddoan Linguistics Conference.

Tom Leonard tmleonard at cox.net
Sat Oct 16 18:28:10 UTC 2004

> We had discussed the possibility of holding the meeting at the time of the
Osage
> dances so that interested persons could attend these in the evenings.
Does
> anyone recall what weekend(s) this was?  Carolyn?

The dates for the Osage Illonska dances are generally set in early Spring.
Typically, theses dances begin on the first weekend (Thursday-Sunday) in
June at Gray Horse (outside Fairfax, OK) followed by dances at Hominy then
Pawhuska. Gray Horse is almost always first and nearly always the first
weekend in June. The other Districts follow afterward.

In recent years Hominy has held their dance on the weekend following
Grayhorse. Pawhuska has held their dance 2 weeks after that (they skip one
weekend). But, this is not a hard and fast rule. Sometimes Pawhuska is
second. Sometimes it's Hominy. Sometimes they skip a weekend. Other times
they don't.

I believe the exact District order and dates are set at a Committee dinner
in the Spring. I don't think you'll be able to nail down specific dates for
the Illonska dances until then.