Fonts (Re: Mississippi Valley Ablaut)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed Oct 20 15:37:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, R. Rankin wrote:
> John Boyle asked for a PDF file, so I'll try to make one of those.  It
> should work with the Mac.  I can't remember if I used fonts in addition
> to Siouan SSDoulos or not.  And I don't know if you will need them for a
> .PDF file or not.

I think the fonts are embedded in the PDF file, and that this is the
virtue of the PDF format - it allows font embedding.  The Adobe Acrobat
Writer in Acrobat Professional makes PDF files, and there are a few
alternatives.  For example, GhostWord
(http://www.et.dtu.dk/software/ghostword/), though it isn't quite up to
date.  It requites you to find and install a version of Ghostview, too.

> This installed in Office 2002 for me in Word and Excel.  It said it
> couldn't handle PowerPoint.  It did put the icon in PowerPoint, but it
> seems to be inactive.  It works in Word, but only on a document you've
> already saved.  It worked in Excel, too, but said it had an illegal
> parameter.

My understanding is that it is also possible to convert Windows TTF files
to Mac TrueType font files using tools available on the Web, but I don't
know the details.