Emil Afraid-Of-Hawk's style (A Personal Impression)

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jul 2 08:45:32 UTC 2006

Hello Alfred & friends, If you mean the Lakota text is 'European-
style' in the sense that it was a work of European literary FORM
(novel/novella), which Emil Afraid-of-hawk was "translating" back in
the 1940's, then I totally agree with you. But that seems to me the
only European thing about it, (apart from the Roman alphabet) :  the
grammatical structure & syntax of his sentences, his
"Weltanschaung" (if you like) seem,IMHO, "echt-Lakhota", being in my
view completely unlike the grammatical/thought structure of any
European language of which I am aware, even of non-Indo-European ones
like Finnish, Estonian, Turkish. Hungarian, or even Basque. (I am not
putting myself forth as an expert in any of those languages, but I
know enough about  the way they "work".) And yet neither does it
resemble the structure of the language as it is used in the Deloria
or Bushotter Tales. IMHO, it would seem to have more in common with
the modern Lakhota style of Ivan Starr's 'Lakota Eyapaha". I would
love to know more about Mr. Afraid-Of-Hawk, wouldn't you? Who was he
raised by? Who were his parents & grandparents? Any storytellers in
the family? How traditional a background did he come from? What
education had he acquired? What books, if any, had he read? Does the
first name "Emil" perhaps indicate some European strain, not "full-
blood" : French/German/Swiss/Belgian? All I have been able to
ascertain so far is that he was an Oglala, an assistant at a trading
post on Rez. (Pine Ridge, I think) in the 1920's & '30's, who was
apparently remembered with much affection, a Catholic "catechist &
prayer-leader" in 1930-31, and an interpreter who was engaged 1) by
the famous John Neihardt in the course of interviewing Nicholas Black
Elk in '30/'31; 2) Employed as one of 5 interpreters by Eleanor
Hinman & Mari Sandoz in their work in the same years with Oglala
informants on Crazy Horse. 3) Engaged as Lakhota interpreter for a
number of bilingual children's books by the B.I.A. teacher & author
Ann Nolan Clark, published by the Bureau in the '40's. IF I am right
about his use of Lakhota, he is a distinguished author & artist,
whose stature awaits due recognition! If I am wrong, I would like to
have it demonstrated, by a Lakhota scholar, or other informed source.
In fact, I would love to analyse/discuss the grammar & syntax of some
of his sentences with any scholars here who might be interested. :)
Here is a link to the book, with interlinear translation(s)
available :  http://lol.iyapi.net/bomd.php  Best regards, Clive
Bloomfield.