Ofologists take note!

Marianne Mithun mithun at linguistics.ucsb.edu
Fri Jun 9 15:31:52 UTC 2006

I remember Mary as saying Chitimacha with an initial affricate and final
stress as well.

And as for the Chumash, my impression is that the ones who are using an
initial fricative are mostly people who have recently discovered their
ethnicity (not that it isn't genuine). The fricative gained currency as the
'in' way to pronounce it not very long ago. I've wondered whether that
might be simply because it seems more exotic, given the spelling. It was
never a French word. Harrington's documents are very clear. In Chumash, the
name is spelled with t-esh, even in the speech of the last speaker, an
excellent speaker who died in 1965.

Marianne

--On Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:55 PM -0700 Pamela Munro <munro at ucla.edu>