Casa Country

Shane Henry shenry74 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 20:35:56 UTC 2007

Bob wrote:
>>I haven't found the etymon outside of Dhegiha and suspect that it's borrowed in any other Mississippi Valley Siouan languages that have it.

Given the information from previous posts:

1) According to the HNAI, the Casa tribe was likely geographically situated between the Honniosonts and the Mosopeleas, thus in northeastern Ohio/westernmost Pennsylvania. (Whereas, the "Acanseasipi River" - likely the Tennessee River - seems to be the ancient home of one or more Dhegihan tribes, rather than the Casas.)

2) And given the (admittedly scarce) evidence for the Casa being a Siouan tribe, including:
a) The presence of nearby Siouan tribes such as the Mosopeleas and Monetons.
b) An interpretation of the Osage tradition with Pittsburgh being the northeasternmost extent of Siouan territory.
c) The superficially Siouan appearance of the word "Casa", perhaps being cognate with "Kansa".
...I wonder if there was an "Ohio Siouan" language consisting of the Mosopelea-Ousperie-Ofo and Casa tribolects, alongside the "Virginia Siouan" language, conceivably consisting of some or all of the following tribolects: Moneton, Nahyssan, Monacan, Manahoac, Tutelo, Saponi, and Occaneechi.

In this case, perhaps the Casa autonym is Ohio Siouan *KhoN'θe/*KhoN'se, showing alteration between theta and ess, and with the form "Casa" being the tribe's name in the language that transmitted the name to La Salle.

In that case, I imagine the name of Casa Country as A'maN KhoN'se.

Travis

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.