Teaching material suggestions

Daisuke Sasaki daisuke at MAIL.COM
Sun Feb 14 10:00:31 UTC 1999

At 1:23 PM -0400 99.2.11, SEEGMILLERM at ALPHA.MONTCLAIR.EDU wrote:
> Dear SLLINGers,
>
> I am in the process of writing course proposals for four
> courses in ASL: two one-semester courses at the beginning level
> and two at the intermediate level in a state university. I hope
> that these wil be accepted as fulfilling our language requirement.

I'm a graduate student of linguistics at the University of
Texas at Austin, and "Signing Naturally" (DawnSignPress) is
used here, and I've enjoyed it very much.  The course is
notional-functional, and ASL is taught by natural approach.
I hear that this is most widely used in the U.S.  Is that
true?

Since the target language and the instruction language are
both ASL, the course instructor may be required to have some
expretise.

Here, Volume 1 is used in the first semester, and Volume 2
is used in the second and third semesters.

UT has three instructors (of course, all deaf), and they
teach six first-year sections (first and second semesters)
and three second-year sections (third and fourth semesters).
The materials used in the fourth semester are varied, and my
instructor uses "ASL Grammatical Aspects: Comparative
Translations" (Sign Enhancers, Inc.).

During the first year (first and second semesters), we meet
every day (five times a week), and, during the second year
(third and fourth semesters), we meet three times a week.
Each class is 50 minutes long.

The number of students is limited to 20 in each section.

I hope this might help you in some way.

Daisuke Sasaki