SV: Not about The Amsterdam Manifest

Greftegreff, Irene irene.greftegreff at KS-MOLLER.NO
Fri Aug 25 10:54:01 UTC 2000

Hello Carol,

Nice to see you on this list. As it happens I was so eager to have the
volume that I made an advance order. The article by Jennifer Rayman contains
a lot of interesting observations on storytelling in ASL vs. English, not to
mention the cultural context of storytelling.

The through description she gives of one ASL story is entertaining reading
by itself. I could almost see it, except that it came out in my head in
Norwegian Sign Language instead of ASL.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see a comparison of renderings of the same
story in two or three different sign languages? Are they really so similar,
or are we merely imagining it?

And the most important question: Who would pay for it? oh well

Irene
(whose current view out the window is a colleague sitting on a blue plastic
crate, practicing a story in sign language, while smoking the cigarette that
he cannot have indoors)