major bookstore chain--uggh!

Petra Eccarius eccarius at PURDUE.EDU
Tue Feb 15 16:28:03 UTC 2000

The Barnes and Noble in Lafayette, Indiana (the closest
for Purdue University students) also puts their Sign
Language dictionaries, etc. in the reference section.
It struck me as odd as I know I _have_ seen them in the
foreign language section of other stores...

....petra
--
Petra Eccarius
Graduate Student in Linguistics
Purdue University-West Laffayette
eccarius at purdue.edu

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Linda Lee Lonning wrote:

> Hello everyone--
>
> An aside on how we see signed languages treated in
terms of their
> recognition in their placement in libraries and even
in bookstores.  (I
> read the ISO one initial email realllly quickly so
excuse me if I'm not
> capturing the essence of what ISO is exactly used
for.)

> It has always rubbed me the wrong way as I peruse my
area bookstores here
> in Milwaukee (I'm talking specifically about our
Barnes and Noble chain
> here) to see ASL  **NOT** in the section for foreign
languages (in the
> case of ASL, and many other languages being present,
please excuse the
> reference to "foreign" in this case...but you see my
point)...but they
> place them in the *reference section (with the
dictionaries, after all,
> you can "learn" sign language by just memorizing a
bunch of pictures,
> right??  Uhhh!  ...OR I also see sign language books
placed by the
> enlarged-print books!  (After all, that's what sign
language is, right?
> An auxillary "device" or mechanism for communication,
right??
> Double-uhhh!!)
>
> I've asked personel at each book store what their
rationale is for the
> placement of sign language books where they are and
explained that it
> would more fairly placed at least with the "foreign"
languages.  I've
> submitted a feedback card to their regional or
corporate office (where
> ever that one was supposed to go)...NO response at
all.  I was told I
> should write something like their regional
headquarters, etc.  Wow.  How
> customer-friendly (?!)  BUT I'm told, the placement
of media for Barnes
> and Noble is decided higher up.
>
> I encourage folks to stop in their local
bookstores/chains and check-out
> where sign language/Deaf culture books are placed as
well.  Let me know
> what you find-- ;) .
>
> Linda L. Lonning, BS, CI & CT
> University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee--Part-time Staff
Interpreter