Mexican Deaf Culture Federal Law

Boris Fridman Mintz bfridman at PRODIGY.NET.MX
Mon Mar 11 22:53:02 UTC 2002

Dear Lisa Kauppinen,
President of the World Federation of the Deaf:

I am writing to you in behalf of the Committee of Representatives of the
Mexican Deaf Community, in which the "Federación Mexicana de Sordos" is
actively engaged.

When you came to Mexico we gave you a copy of the "Ley Federal de la Cultura
del Sordo". Now we are sending you an English translation, entitled FEDERAL
LAW REGARDING DEAF CULTURE.

The text of this proposed law is already being formally evaluated at the
lower chamber of congress, specifically at the commission that deals with
vulnerable groups ("Comisión de Atención a Grupos Vulnerables").

We would appreciate very much your comments. Address them, not only at
ourselves, but mostly at the congressmen who can make a difference in the
process of approving, changing or rejecting this proposed law:

Presidente de la Comisión de Atención a Grupos Vulnerables:
    Dip. Enrique Adolfo Villa Preciado.
        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

Diputados de la Junta de Coordinación Política:
    Dip. Felipe Calderón Hinojosa (PAN)
        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

We believe it is very important for them, as well as for us, to understand
that the proposed law would make a significant change in the lives of
hundreds of thousands of deaf persons in our country, opening doors for a
dignified life, in full compliance with the human rights of all the deaf
individuals and communities.

Otherwise, they may postpone any vote on the issue, or they may change it in
ways that would not correspond to its original spirit. We need all the
international support and solidarity we can gather.

We are confident that the content of the law speaks for itself. That is why
we are also sending this letter and the attached documents to the following
international organizations and institutions:

International Labour Organization,
Inter-American Court of Human Rights
Amnesty International
Humans Rights Watch
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights

We hope they will all read this letter and, hopefully, that they will also
pay attention to our demands, which are representative of many deaf
individuals and communities across the world.

We will be marching this March 15 in several cities across the nation. Our
main demand will be the approval of the aforementioned law. Please, let
every one know of our quest.

Take good care and
Receive a warm embrace from us all,

In behalf of the Committee of Representatives of the Mexican Deaf Community,
Boris Fridman Mintz

PD The Spanish version is also attached to this message, in case anyone
requests it.

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx

        evillap at diputados.pan.org.mx

        felipech at diputados.pan.org.mx
    Dip. Martí Batres Guadarrama (PRD)
        mbatresg at prdleg.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Rafael Rodríguez Barrera (PRI)
        rrodriguez at diputados-pri.org.mx
    Dip. José Narro Céspedes (PT)
        jnarro at correo.diputados.gob.mx
    Dip. Bernardo de la Garza Herrera (PVEM)
        bernardogh at pvem.org.mx