wiksign, a collaborativ french sign language dictionnary

Steve Slevinski slevin at signpuddle.net
Fri Apr 11 18:02:49 UTC 2008

No matter what the solution, this is definitely a chicken and the egg
problem.  Time will tell what evolves.

I think that notation systems and scripts are more appealing than video
and spoken language.  Considering that a book on tape is inadequate for
serious study, I believe that video is inferior to text when considering
content.

While I can understand the utility of a notation system for analysis of
individual signs, I'm personally drawn to scripts that are meant to be
written and read.  I believe SignWriting is such a script and not a
notation system for analysis only.

I hope that all the possible sign language notations and scripts are
able to create plugins.  Multiple editors within the same script would
be even better.

Interestingly, SignWriting is a script that was originally hand written,
then developed a scheme for touch type keyboarding,  and currently uses
a method of drag and drop for writing.  All three methods are in use
today.  SignWriting will be able to support many different styles of
user interface.  SignWriting has a simple and effective ideology behind
searching and sorting.  Advanced sorting is possible, but advanced
searching is still only theoretical.

The ideas behind Wikisign and Signopedia are interesting and I'll follow
them.  MediaWiki is a nice platform for content distribution.  I'll be
excited when my SignWriting plugin is ready.

Regards,
-Steve